A collapse at a Hollywood Hills house fire injured six firefighters around midnight. One of the firefighters is reported in grave condition.. The Los Angeles Fire Department held a press conference before dawn. Four of the firefighters are from LAFD, two are from Los Angeles County.
UPDATE (1:46 PM PST) from Devin Gales at LAFD Alert:
*UPDATE: 1561 N Viewsite Dr.* *FIRE WITH FIREFIGHTER INJURY* * LAFD firefighter is still in grave condition; family and Department members are by his side; one other firefighter is listed in good condition; two others were treated and released; LAFD Fire Chief awaiting additional information from doctors at Cedars-Siani Medical Center.
A veteran Los Angeles city firefighter who was close to retirement was injured early Thursday after a ceiling collapsed during a blaze at a two-story Hollywood Hills home.
Firefighters were on the roof of the home when it collapsed, Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Tina Haro said. Colleagues had to use chainsaws to gain access to the critically injured firefighter and pull him out.
The audio above is not an official recording from LAFD. It is provided from radioreference.com via firefighterdispatch at YouTube.com. Gaps between transmissions have been removed compressing the time. The alert to the collapse occurs at 16:54 on this recording. This comment was submitted by LAFD Firefighter/Specialist Brian Humphrey this evening- ”David, Thank you for sharing word of this incident with your audience. As mentioned elsewhere (and as is our protocol), we wish to clarify that the authenticity and integrity of this amateur recording has not been validated. We will strive to keep you and your readers apprised of developments related to this incident in the hours, days and weeks to come. Fraternally Yours in Safety and Service.”
“He is fighting for his life at this time, he’s in grave condition,” Haro said. “The other firefighters are doing well.”
Two firefighters from the Los Angeles County Fire Department and three from the Los Angeles City Fire Department were injured, but are in good condition, Haro said.
The fire apparently started in a fireplace but spread to the walls and attic, making the flames difficult to douse, Haro said.
“We kind of chased the fire around for a while, trying to find it,” she said.
Unbeknownst to firefighters, the fire had burned through sprinkler pipes in the attic and filled the space with water, Haro said.
The weight collapsed a drop ceiling held in place by 2-by-4-inch wood struts, Haro said.
“The ceiling came down in huge piece,” striking two county and four city firefighters, she said.
“Our rapid intervention teams came in and they could see his turnout coat under the rubble,” Haro said.
Six firefighters were injured when a ceiling of one floor of a house in the Hollywood Hills collapsed on them while battling a house fire.
The fire broke out around 11:20 p.m. Wednesday on the 1500 block of North Viewsite Drive.
Neighbors said the house was recently built to showcase its spectacular view. It took firefighters about nine minutes to reach the three-story, 6,000-square-foot home. Firefighters worked on the ceiling, which was where the flames were coming from.
“Firefighters were in the process of gaining access to the fire. It was in the ceiling area, between the ceiling and the roof and the attic space and behind a wall near a fireplace,” said Los Angeles City Fire Dep. Chief Mario Rueda.
The fire appears to have started near a fireplace and then extended into the attic, according to L.A. City Fire Deputy Chief Mario Rueda.
Firefighters were on the roof trying to extinguish the flames when the ceiling collapsed, Rueda said.
One firefighter was taken out of the home on a stretcher. He was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in grave condition.
Six firefighters were hurt battling a huge fire at a home in the Hollywood Hills early Thursday morning.
The fire broke out around midnight at an upscale home in the 1500 block of N. Viewside Drive.
One firefighter was taken out of the home on a stretcher. He sustained serious injuries, and was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
The owner of the home told KTLA he woke up to the sound of sprinklers, and that it was a neighbor who initially saw the flames and smoke and called 911.