First Arriving Network
Powered by the First Arriving Network,Reaching 1M+ First Responders Worldwide

Raw video: Chicago house fire where Capt. Herbie Johnson died.

Click here to follow on Facebook (hit “like”)

This is video just uploaded yesterday that a neighbor shot of Friday’s house fire that took the life of Chicago Fire Department Capt. Herbie Johnson. The fire occurred at 2315 W. 50th Place and also injured Firefighter Ryan Woods. Click here for our previous coverage of the fire

 Image above from IAFF Local 2.

Here is a reminder on information on arrangements for Capt. Johnson from IAFF Local 2:

Visitation: Wednesday, November 7th, 2012

Saint Rita of Cascia Shrine Chapel

7740 South Western Avenue, Chicago, IL

1500 – 2100 hours — CFD Assembly at 1745 hours — Walk thru at 1800 hours

Funeral Mass: Thursday, November 8th, 2012

Saint Rita of Cascia Shrine Chapel

7740 South Western Avenue, Chicago, IL

1100 hours Mass

Procession and Interment: Mt. Olivet Cemetery, 2755 West 111th Street, Chicago, IL

Immediately following the funeral. 

Do you want to sell a rig? Click HERE to find out how with


Comments - Add Yours

  • cappy

    Rest in peace captain

  • JustSayin’

    The Beat Goes On …

    The video shows a FF working the second floor without hood and mask.

    And The Beat Goes On ..

    Another LODD … stated cause: severe airway burns leading to cardiac arrest

    Will we, as “professionals”, ever learn.????

    Or will the Beat Just Go On ….

    • Anonymous

      JustSayin’ :

      Are you saying Capt. Johnson died due to his own negligence? The only possible way he died was that he was fighting the fire without a mask on, is that what you are saying? You are pathetic.

      • Unknown

        Anon, you are pathetic for your ignorance in thinking that JustSayin’s thinking is irrational. Honestly, when I first watched the video I had to double take and watch it a second time. IMO I thought that was Capt. Johnson himself who was actually caught on the video, slight resemblance. Then as the reports state, severe burns to the face…I could only imagine the firefighter did NOT have his hood nor mask on.

    • Another anonymous

      have to agree. you gotta think if he had his mask and hood on the injuries might not have been fatal. that said, we don’t know all the details.. and it could have been burned through…?

    • Anonymous

      That was not captain Johnson seen on the porch that was a ff on the ladder

      • Anonymous

        anon your wrong  i know who it was on the back porch yelling down, it was me, please dont make comments on issues if you were not there

    • YouDontWant2Know

      to JustSayin, Herbie was a real firemen, a firemens, Firemen! He had more time in the air jumping off the rig for fires then you do probably on earth you beat*ff. Go suck some more air off your air packon the fornt lawn. RIP Herbie.

  • Chris Sterricker

    There is information that those of us in the local area have that gives a reasonable explanation for why Capt. Johnson received the injuries he did. The injuries were received while warning his and other interior crews of changing conditions during the attack. I decline to elaborate because the CFD has not released the information and obviously it is too early for a NIOSH or any other formal report. There were some very human and unfortunate factors that came into play that led to Capt. Johnson’s death. It would be wise for all to withhold judgement until the facts have been released.