FIRST ARRIVING NETWORK
First Arriving Network
Powered by the First Arriving Network, Reaching 1M+ First Responders Worldwide

Raw video: Two-alarm church fire in Woonsocket, RI.

Click here to follow STATter911.com on Facebook (hit “like”)

Video above by Matt Gregoire () of Providence Fire Videos, from a fire yesterday morning in Woonsocket, Rhode Island.

Courtney Caligiuri, WPRI-TV:

The fire started around 4:30 a.m. inside St. Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Parish on Harris Avenue.

Captain Michael Morin of the Woonsocket Fire Department said he believes the cause of the fire stemmed from a service held Tuesday night.

“They had a service the night before, they were using incense, and it was a product of charcoal, I believe incense they used wasn’t properly disposed of after.”

Tatiana Pina, Providence Journal:

The fire caused major damage to the room where it started, a service room at the extreme end of the church that’s used by altar boys to prepare for services. It also caused serious damage to the church’s slate roof. There was major water and smoke damage to the entire church.

A chandelier in the middle of the church crashed down to the floor. The stone building’s slate roof made it difficult for firefighters to cut holes in the roof to vent the fire and get at the blaze, according to Capt. Michael Morin, a fire marshal for the Woonsocket Fire Department.

Do you want to sell a rig? Click HERE to find out how with SellFireTrucks.com.

Comments - Add Yours

  • BH

    Good for them for saving the building- from the INSIDE. Most departments would have seen that fire poking through the roof and spent the next 12 hours filling it with water.

  • Mack Seagrave

    Nice job by the Brothers in Woonsocket. Not often are these ornate churches saved once a fire gets a good hold on them. Lot’s of hazards in these style structures which makes knowing when to stay and when to go defensive very important.

  • Anonymous

    Nice stop, but I wonder if they know what those things on their backs are for?

  • Retired Chief Too

    Nice job, boys.

  • Anonymous

    Man the PPE/air pack comments have gotten so old it’s nauseating. Nice stop. I just wonder how much unnecessary damage was caused to the church by letting a 2 1/2 flow freely into an area that didn’t seem to be burning. May be more going on than you can see from a video though but the fire appeared to be in the rear of the building not the front.

    Regardless, great stop before things became incredibly dangerous or even worse a parking lot.