FIRST ARRIVING NETWORK
First Arriving Network
Powered by the First Arriving Network,Reaching 1M+ First Responders Worldwide

Fire & EMS radio traffic from Navy Yard shooting rampage.

Do you want to sell a rig? Click HERE to find out how with SellFireTrucks.com.

Previous coverage

Issues surrounding news organizations using scanner information during critical incidents

Above is the DC Fire & EMS Department radio traffic from yesterday’s shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard posted to YouTube by firefighterdispatch (originally from Broadcastify.com). It begins at approximately 8:35 AM (ET), about 20 minutes after the shootings started.

AP:

The deadly attack at the Washington Navy Yard was carried out by one of the military’s own: a defense contract employee and former Navy reservist who used a valid pass to get onto the installation and started firing inside a building, killing 12 people before he was slain in a gun battle with police.

The motive for the mass shooting – the deadliest on a military installation in the U.S. since the tragedy at Fort Hood, Texas, in 2009 – was a mystery, investigators said. But a profile of the lone gunman, a 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, was coming into focus. He was described as a Buddhist who had also had flares of rage, complained about the Navy and being a victim of discrimination and had several run-ins with law enforcement, including two shootings.

Monday’s onslaught at a single building at the highly secure Navy Yard unfolded about 8:20 a.m. in the heart of the nation’s capital, less than four miles from the White House and two miles from the Capitol.

It put all of Washington on edge. Mayor Vincent Gray said there was no indication it was a terrorist attack, but he added that the possibility had not been ruled out.

“This is a horrific tragedy,” he said.

Alexis carried three weapons: an AR-15 assault rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun that he took from a police officer at the scene, according to two federal law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation. The AR-15 is the same type of rifle used in last year’s mass shooting at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school that killed 20 students and six women. The weapon was also used in the shooting at a Colorado movie theater that killed 12 and wounded 70.

For much of the day, authorities said they were looking for a possible second attacker who may have been disguised in an olive-drab military-style uniform. But by late Monday night, they said they were convinced the shooting was the work of a lone gunman, and the lockdown around the area was eased.

“We do now feel comfortable that we have the single and sole person responsible for the loss of life inside the base today,” Washington police Chief Cathy Lanier said.

President Barack Obama lamented yet another mass shooting in the U.S. that he said took the lives of American “patriots.” He promised to make sure “whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible.”

The FBI took charge of the investigation.

Valerie Parlave, head of the FBI’s field office in Washington, said Alexis had access to the Navy Yard as a defense contractor and used a valid pass.

The Washington Navy Yard is a sprawling, 41-acre labyrinth of buildings and streets protected by armed guards and metal detectors, and employees have to show their IDs at doors and gates. More than 18,000 people work there.

The rampage took place at Building 197, the headquarters for Naval Sea Systems Command, which buys, builds and maintains ships and submarines. About 3,000 people work at headquarters, many of them civilians.

Witnesses on Monday described a gunman opening fire from a fourth-floor overlook, aiming down on people on the main floor, which includes a glass-walled cafeteria. Others said a gunman fired at them in a third-floor hallway.

As emergency vehicles and law enforcement officers flooded the streets, a helicopter hovered, nearby schools were locked down and airplanes at Reagan National Airport were grounded so they would not interfere with law-enforcement choppers.

Click here to follow STATter911.com on Facebook (hit “like”)

SHARE THIS

Comments - Add Yours

  • Anonymous

    22:00…”I have the training academy bus and 22 paramedics on the bus”

    Are there always 22 paramedics at the training academy?

    • Pipeman27

      Yes it’s a good hiding place for them. It’s disgusting considering the severe shortage of medics everyday.

  • HOOKMAN

    Hey Dave….have the authorities determined yet who the screamer was on the radio and was he taken into custody….From his personal facebook acct and updates from MD1, you’d think he led a cavalry of zoldiers into harms way yesterday…unreal…

  • A concerned taxpayer

    Good job DCFD despite the FC assuming incident command and the MD yelling like he popped a molly!

  • smh

    How many PECs/medic units were downgraded at the time of the incident?

  • BH

    Alexis carried three weapons: an AR-15 assault rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun that he took from a police officer at the scene, according to two federal law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation.

    Except there was no AR, so as usual the media creates the story.

    • dave statter

      No, the media didn’t create that story BH. That was information from police that was later corrected.

  • NoAgendaHere

    The article about scanners is a beauty.

    “The erroneous reports weren’t concocted. In most cases, they came directly from police sources”

    OK now lets write a story bashing scanners and never mention once the police sources.

    • dave statter

      Unfortunately because of the closed way Washington (nationally and locally) has operated for a long time, to find out anything you have to use anonymous sources, whether police or fire. My philosophy is the PIO should begin tweeting information out from the start of such an incident and knocking down rumors and bad info as needed. For example, instead of The Washington Post reporting from police sources there was the possibility of three gunmen (which police about 90 minutes later confirmed in a press conference) the PIO could have been putting it out officially. As they accounted for the two people who turned out not to be shooters, that too could have been tweeted and the word gets out instantly. It’s the modern way of doing public information. The Navy showed they are buying into it. It would be nice to see the public safety agencies in our Nation’s Capital do the same.

      • anonymous

        Sorry Dave.

        Since Pete Piringer left for Ellerbe’s good buddy Lon Walls (who has since quietly resigned after being caught up in scandal) all hope of getting any timely or useful information is gone. All our PIO seems to be allowed to tweet is pedestrian struck locations and which ANC meeting the Chief is currently trying to brainwash.

  • Anonymous

    I liked the part when Communications told IC to send someone in to reset the fire alarm so the cops could communicate while they searched for the shooter.