Off-duty firefighter & wife arrested for interfering at fire in Evansville, IN

Click here if video above fails to play


Tensions run high at an overnight fire at Inland Marina. An off duty fire fighter and the daughter of an Evansville mayoral candidate are handcuffed and taken to jail.

Evansville Police say Katie Riecken-Parker and her husband Edward Parker ignored fire fighters commands to stay away from the fire. Edward Parker reportedly put up a fight when he was getting arrested – kicking an officer in the face. EPD says an officer had to use a stun gun to get him to cooperate.

Investigators say the couple was intoxicated. They were arrested for public intoxication, resisting law enforcement and interfering with a fireman. Edward Parker faces an additional charge for fighting the officer. 

Inland Marina was owned and operated by Ron Riecken for decades. Riecken is the husband of Evansville mayoral candidate Gail Riecken. He recently told Eyewitness News his daughter, Katie Riecken-Parker, now owns and manages the facility.

IN Evansville Marina fire arrest 1


Police say both suspects tried to cross the pedestrian bridge to reach the boat docks. Several firefighters were trying to keep the two from interfering with crews who were battling the flames.

Police report that Edward Parker and Katherine Riecken-Parker refused to leave the area and resisted arrest.

Authorities say Edward Parker was taken into custody after an officer used a Taser on him. Police add Parker had kicked an officer in the face while resisting arrest. Officers say a portable breath test revealed a bac of .196%.

Edward Parker is charged with Battery on a Public Safety Official, Resisting Law Enforcement, Public Intoxication, and Interfering with a Fireman.

Max Roll & John Martin, Evansville Courier & Press:

Parker and Riecken-Parker were seen scuffling with firefighters by an officer posted in the east side of Marina Point. A request came over from Central Dispatch soon after to have police units respond to the scene. Crews waved to police to help them near the pedestrian bridge, according to the affidavit.

Police helped five firefighters restrain the two from continuing onto the bridge, according to the affidavit. Both Parker and Riecken-Parker were reportedly pushing and shoving firefighters. One officer noted Parker was belligerent and kicking at several officers, striking one in the face and causing pain, according to the affidavit. Parker was taken into custody after an officer used a TASER on him, according to the affidavit.


Related Articles