Brief pre-arrival video, above, from Larry Davis. More early video, below, by Preston Gordon (posted by San Francisco Examiner). They were taken after a 25-passenger LPG fueled bus caught on fire at the pumps of a Chevron station at 9th Street and Howard Street in San Francisco yesterday (Monday) afternoon.
The driver of the bus, operated by Transmetro, pulled into the gas station after noticing the engine was overheating, Assistant Fire Chief Tom Siragusa told reporters at the scene.
The driver opened the hood to check the engine compartment and walked into the gas station store for a minute before others in the area alerted him that smoke was coming out of the engine block, Siragusa said.
The driver returned to discover the bus was on fire and called for help at 2:33 p.m., Siragusa said. Meanwhile, the gas station owner activated a safety valve that turns off the pumps.
Firefighters arriving on the scene found the bus, fueled by liquid petroleum gas, engulfed in flames. Because there was the potential for explosion, firefighters retreated to a safe position and put a large amount of water on the fire, extinguishing it by shortly before 3 p.m., Siragusa said.