Video: California firefighters resuscitate dog pulled from apartment fire

Looking for a quality used fire truck? Selling one? Visit our sponsor Command Fire Apparatus

Melissa Pamer, KTLA-TV:

Photos and video captured Santa Monica firefighters successfully resuscitating a small dog that was trapped in a burning apartment this week.

The pooch survived after firefighters performed CPR and provided oxygen through a mask designed for pets, according to a Facebook post from the Santa Monica Fire Department.

The fire was reported about 4 p.m. Tuesday at a one-story apartment building in the 1800 block of Seventh Street, near Santa Monica High School. One unit of the building had a rapidly growing fire in its kitchen and storage room.

While some firefighters cut into the roof to “allow for the release of super heated smoke and fire gasses,” others entered the unit to find a dog, unresponsive, overcome by the heat and smoke.


As they searched through the apartment for victims, firefighter Andrew Klein found a dog who had been overcome by heat and smoke. The dog had no pulse and wasn’t breathing.

The dog’s owner, 35-year-old Crystal Lamirande, had come home to see her apartment on fire and had tried to rescue her 10-year-old Bichon Frize/Shih Tzu mix named Nalu, but couldn’t get past the thick smoke.

Klein quickly went to work performing CPR on the pup, eventually reviving Nalu. A pet oxygen mask was also used to make sure Nalu was OK.

Related Articles

Back to top button