UPDATED: Firefighters seriously burned after running over gas can that fell off their rig

Idaho State Journal article (above). Read here.

Looking for a quality used fire truck? Selling one? Visit our sponsor Command Fire Apparatus

Fundraiser for Firefighter Henderson


Shelbie Harris, Idaho State Journal:

Downey Fire Department Chief Chris Sorensen said Henderson suffered burns to about 40 percent of his body, and Winward suffered a broken ankle and burns. But both men are expected to survive.

The gas can came loose from the truck at about 11 a.m. Monday while the 12-member all-volunteer Downey fire department battled a wildfire threatening homes along South Marsh Valley Road near Arimo.

The truck struck the can, which was full of gasoline, causing the truck to ignite and quickly become engulfed in flames.

As a temporary fix, Sorensen said he has ordered smaller gas cans with nozzles that are less cumbersome and match better to the receptacle on the gas tanks.

Further, Sorensen said he will construct small containers to protect the gas cans so that they are not exposed to open flames and are less susceptible to falling from the fire truck.

“But what I want to do is convert my pumps to diesel motors so that it can pull off the diesel in the truck,” Sorensen said. “That will eliminate about 80 percent of the problem.”

Read entire article


Elko Daily Free Press/AP:

A firetruck ran over a gas can and caught fire, sending two Idaho firefighters to a hospital with serious burns as they fought a wildfire threatening homes, authorities said Tuesday.

The University of Utah Burn Center in Salt Lake City said Downey volunteer firefighter Matt Henderson was in critical condition and Kent Winward was in serious condition.

The gas can fell from the truck Monday and exploded in flames when it was run over and ignited by embers from the fire near Arimo in southeastern Idaho, officials said.

Another firefighter, Brandon Call, was treated and released at an Idaho hospital.