Close CallsLine of DutyNews

Firefighters Ivan Flanscha & Zachary Anthony killed in York, PA collapse

Watch: York mayor says two firefighters killed in fire

Two firefighters are dead and two others are injured after being trapped when a building in York that was badly damaged in a fire Wednesday collapsed this afternoon.

Posted by York Daily Record/Sunday News on Thursday, March 22, 2018

Click here if the video above fails to play

Brandie Kessler, York Daily Record:

Two York firefighters died in Thursday’s collapse of a section of the burned-out hulk of the Weaver Organ and Piano building, York Mayor Michael Helfrich said at a news conference at York City Hall Thursday night.

Zachary Anthony, 29, of York, and Ivan Flanscha, 50, of Red Lion, were the first York firefighters to die in the line of duty since 1971.  

“This is the worst day in my career, this is the worst day for the York City Fire Department,” Fire Chief David Michaels said. “We are totally overwhelmed.”

Read entire article

Firefighter Ivan Flanscha (l) and Firefighter Zachary AnthonyWGAL-TV:

According to a press release, the city says four firefighters were trapped when part of the building collapsed at 4:00 p.m. They were pulled out and taken to York Hospital.

Flanscha and Anthony were pronounced dead at the hospital.

The City of York says Flanscha was a decorated 20-year veteran of the York City Fire Department. He has been awarded with the department’s “Firefighter of the Year” award, Chief’s Commendations, and a number of other awards for his heroic actions. He was 50 years old.

Anthony has been with the York City Fire Department since August 2010.

Read entire article

Lindsay C. VanAsalan, York Dispatch:

Two other firefighters, Erik Swanson and Assistant Chief Greg Altland, were being treated for non-life-threatening injuries, according to the city.

A three-alarm fire was reported there shortly after 3 p.m. Wednesday, March 21. Firefighters remained at the scene through the night and continued to put out hot spots Thursday.

Four firefighters were taken away in ambulances after a mayday call went out shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday, March 22, according to York County 911 dispatches.

A wall on the south side of the building along Philadelphia Street collapsed, bringing that part of the four-story building down as firefighters were inside, according to Helfrich.

Read entire article

Related Articles

Back to top button