Looking for a quality used fire truck? Selling one? Visit our sponsor Command Fire Apparatus
Atlanta Fire Rescue confirmed to 11Alive on Sunday that the department had shut down its training facility on Ashwood Avenue in Southwest Atlanta – for now. A local labor union said it’s because mold there is making people sick.
“This will undoubtedly cause a delay in putting firefighters in the community,” said Paul Gerdis, president of Atlanta Professional Firefighters Local 134.
Gerdis said the closure is part of an ongoing problem with the center.
“We actually applaud the fire chef’s decision to close the issue,” Gerdis said. “The facility has well-documented years of mold exposure and it finally seems like it’s something they can’t overcome.”